3831 Georgia Ave NW
Project Architect: Bonstra Haresign Architects
Project Design: GTM Architects
Projected completion: Q4 2021
The subject property is located in the Petworth neighborhood, one block north of the Petworth Metro Station and directly across the street from the Petworth Safeway and Starbucks. The building is designed to attract young urban dwellers looking for an amenity-rich neighborhood with a multitude of public transportation options. Located one block to Metro and across the street from the new Safeway/Starbucks, the property has a walk score of 92.
The unit sizes range from 445 SF to 850 SF and the mixed-use project is designed to promote an active lifestyle and the use public transportation by providing onsite and nearby features such as:
Petworth is a residential neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, DC. The neighborhood is bordered to the east by the Soldiers’ Home and Rock Creek Church Yard and Cemetery; to the west by Arkansas Avenue NW, to the South by Rock Creek Church Road NW and Spring Road NW, and to the north by Emerson Street NW.
Petworth is represented by the Ward 4 councilmember on the Council of the District of Columbia. Muriel Bowser served as the most recent Ward 4 councilmember until being sworn in as mayor on Jan. 2, 2015. The seat is currently vacant pending the results of the April 28, 2015 special election.
In 1887, Petworth, the 205-acre country estate of the late Benjamin Ogle Tayloe located at the northeast corner of 7th Street Pike and Rock Creek Church Road, was sold by Tayloe’s heirs to developers for $107,000. By 1889, developers registered “Petworth,” a 387-acre plat of subdivision containing the former Tayloe estate and the Marshal Brown estate, with the District surveyor. In 1893, additional real estate deals formed “West Petworth,” from land west of Brightwood Avenue, including the Ruppert Farm, which was sold for $142,680, a 14 acre property known as Poor Tom’s Last Shaft, and the 20 acre Burnaby tract. An additional 31.7 acres of property was purchased by the District in 1900 from Henry J. Ruppert, located west of Brightwood and Iowa Avenues and south of Utica Street (now Allison Street), as the site of a proposed municipal hospital.The neighborhood bloomed with the expansion of the streetcar line up Georgia Avenue from Florida Avenue to the Washington, DC line at Silver Spring, Maryland.
Many of the thousands of similar brick row houses in the neighborhood were constructed by Cafritz Builders and also by D.J. Dunigan Company in the 1920s and ’30s. Dunigan personally donated the land that became the site for St. Gabriel’s Church and School adjacent to Grant Circle.
Today, the neighborhood is primarily residential with a mix of townhouses and single-family homes. It is served by the Georgia Ave-Petworth station on the Washington Metro’s Green Line and Yellow Line. Petworth borders to two expanses of historic greenspace, Rock Creek Cemetery and the US Soldiers’ and Airmens’ Home.
- Across the street from Safeway/Starbucks
- One block from Petworth Metro Station
- Unit mix 1-bedroom and 2-bdroom units
- Retail ground floor
- Quartz stone counter tops
- Wide-plank LVP flooring
- LED lights in living areas
- ELFA closet shelving systems in all closets
- State-of-the-art structured home wiring
- Individually controlled HVAC systems
- Individual washer dryers in each unit
- Under cabinet task lighting
- Stainless Steel appliances
- Kohler plumbing fixtures including dual-flush toilets